Planning to migrate your WordPress site from one host to a new hosting provider? If you don’t know how to move your WordPress site to a new server for free – don’t worry. This tutorial will cover all the steps required to change WordPress hosting with zero downtime using both manual ways & using a plugin.
Loading time is now a ranking factor in search engine results both on mobile & desktop. So, if you’re not happy with your hosting provider, then you can transfer your entire website whether it is WordPress or any other CMS website.
Migrate your WordPress website from one host to another host without download time by following these steps & make your website load faster with the best web hosting service providers like A2hosting, Cloudways, etc.
Note: Most WordPress hosting provider offers free migration service, but some may charge a fee to migrate.
Table of Contents
- How To Migrate Your WordPress Site To a New Hosting Provider Manually:
- How to Transfer/Migrate an Entire WordPress Site to New Host Using a Plugin
How To Migrate Your WordPress Site To a New Hosting Provider Manually:
- Choose a New WordPress Hosting Provider
- Download Files From File Manager
- Download Database Files From PHP MY ADMIN
- Upload The Files In The New Hosting Account
- Find the Database File Name
- Upload Database Files
- Update Nameserver
So, Let’s Get Started.
1. Choose a New WordPress Hosting Provider
First Choose a new hosting provider given below. All these web hosting providers offer a fast web hosting experience & you can choose any of these hosting providers based on your budget.
Best Shared Hosting
Cloudways (Use Coupon: DIGIROCK20)
Best Cloud Hosting
Best Managed WordPress Hosting
Best Premium Hosting
Disclaimer: Since I don’t recommend ‘not good’ hosting like various different affiliates out there, you could really help me out by signing up for any web hosting mentioned above using my affiliate link. Also, let it be known that I base my reviews not only on my own experience but also on other trusted sources.
If your WordPress site has a slow loading time even after optimizing speed, then it is better to move to a new hosting provider. The faster loading time of your WordPress site will boost your ranking in search results & gain more visitors.
2. Download Files From File Manager
The next step is to download files from the file manager from Cpanel or by using FTP. Go to the Public_html folder, select the domain folder, compress the file & download the compressed file. This will take time depending on your file size.
3. Download Database Files From PHP MY ADMIN
Now, go to the database section & click on PHPMyAdmin. Click on the database folder on the left & check all the tables. (if you have multiple domains hosted on your server then you have to file the database file name by checking every database folder from the wp option file where you will see the site URL & you have to download only that folder). After Checking all the tables, click on the export button on top & choose custom. Now scroll down below & click on the go button to download the website database files.
4. Upload The Files In The New Hosting Account
In your new web hosting provider, first, upload the file manager file. Go to the file manager folder, and double click on the public_html folder. Upload your WordPress website files & extract the folder.
5. Find the Database File Name
Download the wp-config file from the file manager. Open the file & find the database name. See the example below.
Note: You can create also create a new database but you have to add those database details in the WP-config file. If you want to create a new database then you have to create a database name, password & user then add those names in the wp-config file.
6. Upload Database Files
Now, Upload the PHP database file. Click on the Import tab & upload the database file.
7. Update Name server
The last step is to update the name server details. Go to the domain service provider from where you have purchased your domain like Go daddy, Name cheap, etc.
How to update the name server in Godaddy?
- Login to your Godaddy account.
- Click on the DNS button.
Then click on the change button & update your name server details.
How to update the name server in Name Cheap?
- Login to your Name cheap login.
- In the Name cheap dashboard, click on manage.
Under the domain tab, select custom name server.
Enter your name server & click on the save button.
That’s it. Your WordPress website migration to a new hosting provider will be completed without any data loss.
How to Transfer/Migrate an Entire WordPress Site to New Host Using a Plugin
If you are not comfortable with the manual way to transfer/ migrate your entire WordPress website to a new host, then you can use a plugin for the same.
So, to transfer a WordPress site to a new host I will use All In One WP Migration. This plugin is completely free & easy to use.
Steps To Migrate An Entire WordPress Website To A New Host
Using the All in One WP Migration plugin.
1. Install & Activate the All in One WP migration plugin.
2. Now go to the All in One WP migration tab and click on Export.
3. The next step is to click on the EXPORT TO & then click on FILE. This will take some time depending on the size of your site and will create a downloadable file that includes all your WordPress website files including the database files.
4. Once the file is ready just click on the download button.
5. Now on your new host, install WordPress using any other domain name.
6. Again install & activate the All in One WP migration plugin in your new freshly installed WordPress site.
7. So, after activating the plugin, go to the All in One WP migration plugin and then click on Import.
8. Now, upload the downloaded file. This will take some time depending on your internet speed & your file size. After the file gets uploaded, it will overwrite the files.
Important Note: By default, most web hosting providers set the upload file limit to 32MB or 64MB. So, in that case, you have to increase your file upload limit. You can use the import wp migration plugin to increase your file upload limit to 512 MB.
9. Once the file gets uploaded to the new hosting server, update the permalink structure twice. But before that, you have to log in to your site with the old username & the password that you were using on the old host & update your permalinks.
10. Finally, the last step is to update your nameserver. The steps for updating the same server are the same as given in the 7 points of manually migrating WordPress sites.
Conclusion: Migrate WordPress Site From One Host To New Host 2022
So, Follow these step-by-step tutorials on how to migrate your WordPress site from one host to a new hosting provider for free with zero downtime. You can either go with the manual way or you can use the all-in-one WP migration plugin. If you’re facing any difficulty in transferring your site to a new hosting server or for any other query, then fill free to comment below.